Week 8: Two Mission Months


March 20, 2017

Hola hola!

What a week! Sister Sorenson and I really buckled down this week and worked hard. We've been really trying to keep our "line" in the water as long as possible. We read an analogy in PMG earlier this week that compares missionary work to fishing (shocking), and the analogy was basically like "fishers don't drop their line in the water and leave when they don't get anything...they leave their line in the water UNTIL they get something.” We've been working on applying that, and we're planning on carrying that into the next transfer with us.

Transfer 2 Planner
Speaking of....TRANSFER CALLS!! Transfer 1 ends on Wednesday and it looks like I'll be staying in Bella Vista with Sister Sorenson, which is what we were expecting. We won't know for sure until Wednesday though. In our interviews with President last week he was basically like "yeah you still have a lot of work to do together." Haha. However, the rest of the transfer call has been a surprise! We're one of two trainer/trainee companionship staying together. Sister Bolormaa, who we live with and who is training Sister Bradshaw, is being transferred...and we're all super sad about that. Sister Utsch, who is training Sister Rowley, is being transferred. And our DL Elder Kestner is being transferred as well. We're SUPER upset about that one, because no one saw that coming and he's an amazing DL. Everyone keeps talking about how crazy this transfer is, because no one saw any of these things coming! 

Sister Sorenson's Birthday
So last Monday was Sister Sorenson's birthday and it was a straight party. At one point we had five cakes in our fridge so that was a mess. Tons of people from her last area were coming to see her and kept bringing us stuff...and then of course the people in our area were just showering us with stuff too. It was ridiculous...and we're both sitting back just knowing that this is about to happen all over again when my birthday hits next week haha. 

Last Wednesday was the last exchange of the transfer...and it's probably the last Spanish exchange I will go on. A cool miracle happened...Sister Anderson and I went and visited one of their investigators-it was actually the one I met/taught on my first day in the field! Turns out that this investigator's visa expired, so she moved back to Mexico and didn't tell anyone so that was cool (not). BUT!! This woman answered the door and told us that she has a daughter currently serving, and that she left in January. I felt really strongly that I needed to ask who her daughter was, and I was like....ehh there were 2000+ people in the MTC with me, there's no way I know her daughter. But I asked anyways and it turns out that her daughter was in the same zone as me in the MTC! This lady started freaking out and invited us to come in so we shared a brief message with her about faith in Jesus Christ, and then she started rapid-fire asking me questions about adjusting to missionary life and how it's all been. I told her that I wouldn't lie, adjusting to being a missionary is hard, but it's also equally amazing. I shared with her the quote that's like "the bad days may outnumber the good, but the good will always outweigh the bad," and she loved that. After about fifteen minutes of telling her about how my adjustment has been I told her that we needed to get going, but we wanted to leave her with a prayer. She asked if I would offer it, and of course I accepted. As I was praying I felt really strongly that I needed to pray specifically for her and her family, especially her daughter serving. This woman started crying, and when I finished the prayer she told me that I was an answer to her prayers because she loves talking to ANYONE who's seen her daughter more recently than her. As we were leaving, I realized that this girl's family doesn't even LIVE in Gilbert...they're from South Phoenix. What are the odds that they would be in the Gilbert mission...in a house of a Spanish investigator...on a day where I'm on a Spanish exchange?? Pretty slim. I know with 100% certainty that it was not a coincidence that I ran into her on that day...I know it was divine and that she needed to talk to us on that day. 

So that was cool. After that day of Spanish exchanges Sister Anderson told me that she had taught me as much Spanish as she learned in six weeks at the MTC and I was like ...yikes I know next to no Spanish haha. But then the next day Sister Sorenson and I were riding our bikes and we OYM'd (Open Your Mouth...street contact) this guy who only spoke Spanish and I realized that I know all the Spanish I need. It's frustrating because I understand almost everything I just don't know how to construct the sentences and stuff...and this homie was like "Oh I don't believe that there's only one religion" and I go "WELL...yo se La Iglesia de Jesu Cristo...." and just start bearing my testimony in Spanish hahaha that's all you need! As we were biking away Sister Sorenson and I were like man it's a lot easier to be bold and be a missionary when the only thing you know how to say is your testimony...that's a perk that foreign language missionaries never talk about. So that was funny this week.

We had a service activity at a rodeo this week! Man it made me want to go to a rodeo. Summer 2018, for sure! 

Rodeo Service Activity
I'm On a Horse, Heeyaah!
Wanted
In terms of investigators/baptisms....this week we might have had a baptism low-key fall into our lap? Haha we went and met with this family and it turns out they have an overage youth, named L, and the only reason why he's not baptized is because he's scared of the water. When we went over there to meet with them we didn't even know that this OAY existed...we definitely consider that a blessing from working so hard this week, and we're currently brainstorming ideas to make him not scared of the water. 

We also have someone who we've been teaching this transfer who wants to be on date but can't because he's being adopted by this family in our ward and is waiting for his adoption papers to go through...pray that they'll go through quickly! He's an awesome kid and his family is super great as well. His name is R.

A, our golden YSA investigator, is proving to be difficult. Every time we drop by her house she is all for the lessons/activities but she's cancelled every single appointment we've set with her. Also she's 19 and goes to bed at 7 PM every night? So that makes it really hard with the YSA ward when all their activities START at 7. We've got a few tricks up our sleeve for this coming week though...stay tuned.

And then there's the M family. They're part-member, and they have an OAY as well. Apparently the missionaries who taught the husband really pushed the wife to get baptized as well and it scared her...so she has a strong distrust of the missionaries and for that reason doesn't want her son to be baptized. But they have an older daughter who was baptized at the same time the dad was so…I'm confused. We met with them two weeks ago, and they're the family that came to church. However, we think that she knows she needs to be baptized because she won't look us in the eye...it's interesting because as a missionary you always know when people know that what you're saying is true...because their eyes tell the whole story. If someone won't look you in the eye, it’s probably because they're ashamed of something or they know you're right. Every time. She has a stake calling in scouting though and she is the definition of magnifying your calling...so we are going to try and meet with them this week as well.

Other than that...it's just life out here! This past week I turned two months old in the mission!

In two mission months I've...

-learned how to bike with no hands
-changed a tire (mandatory vehicle coordinator training don't worry haha)
-patched a bike tire (Sister Sorenson’s...happened last night)
-been the butt of more 'Idaho' jokes than ever before...yesterday someone told me I sounded like I was talking with a potato in my mouth! haha
-found lifelong friends in my MTC district and my house
-come to realize how much I truly LOVE winter
-received three priesthood blessings (not including setting apart/father's blessing)
My Bike Ate My Skirt
-had one baptism (week 1...clutch.)
-given out probably 15 BOMs
-biked around an average of 30 miles a day
-talked to everyone I've seen
-bore my testimony in English AND Spanish more than ever before in my life
-completed half the BOM
-come to know my Savior, Jesus Christ, more than ever before.

…and honestly probably a plethora of other things I can't remember now. But yeah that's what I've got! Have a good week! I love you!

Sister Jacobson 


No comments:

Post a Comment