Week 20: Miracle on Pinto Street


June 12, 2017
Hey hey!!
Selfie
Five days later and I'm back! It's been another really great week here in Gilbert...but what else is new?!
This week we had an AMAZING miracle. Remember a few weeks ago when I emailed home that story about the guy, F, who we gave water to and invited to church? Sister Ogawa and I had both felt really prompted to talk to him and invite him to church, and he had said no...so we kinda accepted that it wasn't his time for the gospel and that we were just placed in his path to get him water. Well, in the course of the conversation he mentioned that he lived on Pinto Street, but didn't give us an exact address. For a few days after our encounter with him Sister Ogawa and I were both like "Okay. We're gonna go and tract out all of Pinto street one day and find him." but then we started looking at the map and we realized that Pinto street isn't just one street...but it's multiple streets extending all the way across our area and beyond into other stakes even! So we decided that it wouldn't be the most effective use of our time to go and tract out Pinto looking for this one guy. WELLLLL....this week we had a lesson with a less-active member on Pinto Street, and that went super well...and when we left there was this guy on his driveway a few streets down so I peddled up to him and was like "Hello!!" and he turned around...AND IT WAS F!!!!!! I was SHOCKED. I literally went "No way." and then I composed myself and was like "F!! How are you??!" and we talked for a little bit and then he was like "I don't feel much like talking right now. I'll see y'all later, but this is my house." and he walked away...but Sister Ogawa and I got his address! We were so pumped. And we couldn't believe that we found him again. I mean seriously, what are the odds that we would find him again?! That's divine right there. But then later, we were biking in a totally different part of our area and we saw F riding his bike!! So we talked to him briefly there again...that's two times in one day. I know the Lord is placing him in our path to prepare him to accept the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We're going to stop by this week and see if we can get in and teach him. :)
Northern Zone Conference w/Elder Pearson
This week we also had a lesson with our Recent Convert, P. She is doing AWESOME. She asked us if we could read a talk by Elder Bednar together because she didn't know who he was but wanted to be prepared for his visit this upcoming weekend. Sister Ogawa and I prayerfully considered what talk to read with her, because Elder Bednar drops straight fire talks every single time, and we finally decided that we should read "The Character of Christ" with her. I was a little apprehensive about choosing this talk because it's pretty intense and not typically something I would choose to read with a RC of less than six months...but P is special and it was definitely inspired. That day she had found out some upsetting family news, and it turns out that “The Character of Christ” was an answer to her prayers and she LOVED it.
I had exchanges on Saturday with my STL, Sister Utsch! It's been weird only going on one exchange this transfer, since the whole time I was being trained I had at least one exchange every week. I stayed in my area and led out. I was pretty nervous because I hadn't led out this area before and honestly Sister Ogawa just kinda takes control of the planning and I just help execute...but it ended up being a really great day and we only got kinda lost once! Sister Utsch is awesome--she's a great missionary and I learned so much. We had tons of appointments on Saturday--a lesson with our investigator, M, a service activity in the afternoon in a house filled with creepy porcelain dolls, a lesson with our investigators, B and A (which they forgot about...even though I confirmed THREE HOURS before...), and a brief stop-by which actually ended up turning into a lesson with our investigator, S. So a story about S: he has a dog named Dory. S is one of those people who you text to set up an appointment...and he responds like four days later. He's really busy with work so it's hard to catch him at home unless we have an appointment...do you see our problem?? However, a few weeks ago we discovered that EVERY night at 7:30 he takes his dog for a walk along Sagebrush Street. We discovered this because we had appointments in that area consistently for like a week...and every single night we saw him and we would stop and talk to him. So now...whenever we need to set an appointment with S we go looking for him at 7:30 on Sagebrush. We call this activity Finding Dory [and S] ;) So I was with Sister Utsch and we started heading towards S's house and we found him (and Dory) on the street and asked him how he was doing, and he said not well. I asked him why and he said that his father-in-law had just died and they were really close and he's having trouble accepting it. He also mentioned that his wife is distraught and his children are really upset. We asked him if we could come by his house and tell him more about where his father-in-law is and he was like "yeah! I'll meet you there in five minutes." Sister Utsch and I went there and were able to talk briefly about the Plan of Salvation and share a few scriptures about the purpose of this life/what heaven is like with him and his family. When we left S walked us out to our bikes and he said "Have either of you ever had someone close to you die?? How do you find peace?" And we both testified of the peace the gospel brings to us and how because of the Atonement we're able to live with our family forever. Before we left we said a prayer with him and he thanked us and mentioned that for the first time in a few days he felt hope. We also left a Plan of Salvation pamphlet with him and asked him to read it before our next appointment and he said he would. Sister Ogawa and I are looking forward to meeting him this week and really delving into the Plan of Salvation.
Yesterday in church we were sitting in gospel principles and this member leaned over to us and was like "I heard that one of your investigators was at church last week!! That's awesome!!" and we were like...who?? We didn't have any investigators in that ward last week haha. And this member was like "A ten year old girl named M, she's friends with my daughter! She said she's been taking the missionary lessons with her family!" And Sister Ogawa and I were like…What?? We don't have an investigator named M...what missionaries are poaching from us haha. But we did some digging and found out that this girl hasn't actually been taking the lessons, she just would LIKE to take the lessons! We're not sure if her family is open or if it's just her...but Sister Ogawa and I were SO excited! We're looking to set up a Family Home Evening with M's family and the family that brought her to church and hopefully open the door to start teaching them. A super promising potential. :)
Honestly that's about it...It's been crazy busy and we've been working SO hard but those are the highlights from the past five days! :) I love being a missionary and I love this work!
I love you all! Have a fantastic week! :)
Sister Jacobson



No comments:

Post a Comment