Week 22: Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fire


June 26, 2017
Hello friends and family!!
Is this real life?
Happy Monday! We've just finished the HOTTEST week of the season here in Gilbert. On Tuesday it cleared 121°F and the Phoenix airport closed down...but don't worry...us Mormon missionaries were still going strong on our bikes! Last night it was like 108°F and there was a hot breeze blowing around and we were like "Wow, it actually doesn't feel that bad!!" What am I becoming?!?
Sis. Rudd, my daughter!
My new companion is Sister Rudd, she's from Springville, Utah...and she is FRESH out of the Provo MTC. So I'm training a brand new missionary this transfer! Man, just when I was getting really good at being JuCo! ;) Haha I'm just kidding, honestly it's been fun leading out the area and kinda calling the shots--it makes me realize how much I've grown these past five months! Sister Rudd is already an awesome missionary, she has so much missionary fire and I'm excited for all the wonderful things she will do in the Arizona Gilbert Mission.

However, as fun as this week has been...it's also been pretty stressful. One of our ward mission leaders said "Man, you take someone out of the area that’s been here for eight months and leave someone who's been here for eight weeks...may as well whitewash the area!" Haha but as many times as I've felt lost or confused this week, I'm grateful this isn't a whitewash--that's too next level for me haha. Another member told me that she could see it in my face that I was stressed...I'm an open book apparently haha!
Sis. Ogawa's last night in the Gilbert Zone
Sis. Ogawa saying goodbye
We saw tons of miracles this week. Tuesday was my last day with Sister Ogawa, so we had a few member appointments in the evening so she could say goodbye...but in the afternoon we worked super hard to try and find some new people to teach. We stopped by a member family named the S’s. A few weeks ago they had brought an eleven year old girl to church, and we wanted to stop by to try and set up an FHE with this girl, M, so we could teach her the Restoration...but when we stopped by the S’s, M was totally there! They invited us in and we sat down and started talking with them and eventually we turned the conversation towards the gospel. She's an awesome girl--super smart and SO prepared. M told us that she'd been to seven or eight different churches, and that she felt something different when she came to ours. We asked her if she knew why it felt different, and she said that she didn't...so we taught her the Restoration right then and there! Afterwards we invited her to read the BOM every day, and she told us that she already was!! And then before we could invite to baptism she was like "And...I want to convert to your religion." Man...that threw me and Sister Ogawa for a loop! Haha but that was really exciting for us. The struggle now is that since she's eleven, we need to get permission from her parents before we move forward. We stopped by her house last week just to meet them, but they weren't home...but M told us that they're always home on Mondays, so we'll stop by them tonight! Pray that their hearts will be soft and that the Holy Ghost will testify of the truthfulness of our message!!
On Wednesday we got a text from a lady in one of our wards, and she asked us to go and check on her neighbor, whose air conditioner had stopped working the night before. She was really concerned about her neighbor so we went and stopped by, and made sure they were doing okay...and then we asked them if we could leave a Book of Mormon with them. They said yes! It was hot outside and they didn't want to let all of their cool air out of the house, so we taught super briefly about the Book of Mormon and then invited them to read it, and they said they would...so we'll stop by this upcoming week and follow up! Super excited!
We had a really, really cool miracle on Thursday night. We stopped by E and V to see how reading the Book of Mormon was going, and we had an awesome conversation with them! So V has two kids- E, who's ten, and then R, who's sixteen. Every time we've ever been over to her house, R has hardly ever acknowledged us. We always say "Hi R! How are you today?" And sometimes, very rarely, he says "Good." and then goes into his room, but most of the time he doesn't say anything and just goes into his room. We'd kind of accepted that he was never going to join in our conversations, but the LAST time we were at their house, V mentioned that R had just gotten home from a VOLLEYBALL game and I was like "R!! You play?? How long? What team?" all that good stuff, and we talked for a bit and then I told him that I played in high school and we established that weird volleyball bond that all volleyball players seem to have haha. So anyways, back to this week...we stopped by and we're talking to V and E about the Book of Mormon and how their week was and what their plans were for this upcoming week...and out of nowhere R just comes and sits down in the living room with a plate of rice and chicken. We keep talking...and none of us really say anything to him...and then after like five minutes he jumps in and starts talking to us!! When he came into the room I was getting ready to get to a spiritual thought and leave a commitment and then leave...but when he came and sat down I knew that it wasn't time to share a thought yet...what he needed was to feel like he could talk to us as friends without having religious pressure. So we kept talking, and eventually he mentioned that in two weeks he's going to go build houses up on the Indian Reservation in Northern AZ...and I was like "R, did you know that last summer I spent two and a half weeks in Africa building houses??" and he thought that was the coolest thing ever. He was like "You did?? What!! That's amazing!" and had all these questions about what we did and all this stuff, and I told him a few stories and about how much PERSPECTIVE that trip gave me and how life changing it was, and I told him I'd bring my photo album the next time we came by, and then I was like "...actually a super cool scripture came into my mind as we've been talking, and I know it'll apply to you as you get ready for this trip in two weeks!" and I shared Mosiah 2:17 (“And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.”) and he LOVED it and was like "what book is that in?!" and I was like "The Book of Mormon!!" and he was like "wow, that's super cool. I really like that. It's totally true. Serving others really is serving God." And then he was like "actually I have a question for you guys...what's with all this calling each other brother and sister?!" which opened the door for us to testify about how God is our Heavenly Father and how we're all Spirit brothers and sisters and then he asked us a few more questions! It was awesome. When we left, V followed us out and was like "I cannot believe he came out! He's struggling even knowing if there's a God right now...if you can give him that knowledge then I will be eternally grateful." Man...it's moments like that that I live for!
You had me at Gilbert!
Another fun thing this week...I learned that one of the wives of one of the members of our mission presidency was like a total beast at volleyball back in the day. She was on the USA National Team (back when they still had that) and then was invited to try out for one of the 80s Olympics team!! She was telling us this story and I was like ...amazing. And then she told me that she has a bunch of buddies that get together on Mondays and play volleyball together...so now we're going to get together and play one of these Mondays. I'm so stoked!!
Anyways, it's been another fantastic week. I love being a missionary and being a representative of Jesus Christ. This is the Lord's work and His hand is in everything!
I love you all, have a good week!
Sister Jacobson

New cover for my PMG


Transfer 4 planner



Puppies


No comments:

Post a Comment