Week 70: The Molecular Structure of LSD

May 28, 2018

Hello hello! 

Got our trunky packets :(
It's been a good and busy week here in the great AGM with lessons, full proselyting days, meetings, and transfers! This transfer is off to a great start already and I'm excited to see what the Lord has in store for us. 

Tuesday night Sister Rowley and I had dinner with K and C, our newest investigators. They prepared a delicious meal and it was way cool to see how the Lord guided our conversation at dinner. Sister Rowley and I had prepared to teach the Plan of Salvation, and our whole conversation over dinner was centered on the sufferings and hardships we face in life, how we get through them, and what comes after this life. It was the smoothest transition into teaching the Plan of Salvation. This lesson was probably the closest to a perfect Plan of Salvation lesson I've ever taught on my mission. It was so guided by the Spirit. I felt like everything I was saying was being given to me. It was incredible to watch C and K's reactions. We started teaching the pre-Earth life and initially it was a foreign concept to them, but the longer we talked and the more Sister Rowley and I explained it, the more they began to understand. Multiple times C said "it just makes sense!" K commented that knowing that God knew us before our life here on Earth means that God knows exactly what trials we can/cannot handle, and that provided her with a lot of peace. After we taught about the Spirit World, K was on the edge of her seat. She goes "What's next?!" haha, she was completely enthralled. You could just see the wheels turning in their heads and all the various bits and pieces they'd heard from other religions were clicking together. It was a moment where I realized just how miraculous the restoration of the gospel truly is; I think that growing up in the restored gospel it might be easy sometimes to take the precious restored truths for granted, but being able to teach people who have never had all the doctrines pieced together and seeing the difference it makes for them really puts things into perspective. Long story short, they loved it. We asked K what it would mean to her to know that the things we've shared with her are true, and she got scared. She told us that she knew she would need to give some things up. The look in her eyes said it all...she knows that it's true, but her faith isn't sufficient enough yet to make that leap of faith to baptism. We told her to continue reading and continue praying and that she would get there one day. Man they are so golden. Unfortunately they left town Saturday morning and will be gone until July 7th. I'm so bummed! But they asked me to make sure my new companion stops by after July 7th so they can keep learning. And they reassured us that they would be taking the Book of Mormon with them on their trip...good news! 

Sister Jensen and me
Wednesday morning we had transfers and Sister Rowley left me. :( That was a bummer, but my new companion’s name is Sister Jensen! She has been on her mission for ten months and is from Harriman, Utah. I have been her STL for her whole mission, so we already know each other really well. I'm pretty sure she's the cutest person in the world and she is an awesome missionary.

We had the STL meeting this week! Five of us STLs are going home this transfer, so five of us gave trainings at the STL meeting. It was a great meeting! It was awesome to get to learn from some of the best missionaries I know and to hear some of their experiences and things they've learned. 

Sister Jensen and I were in the apartments one night trying to contact people and we rounded a corner to see a guy sitting at a picnic table. I made eye contact with him and he was just...dark. You know those people who you can just tell have been through hell and back? He was one of those. I was initially really scared to go and talk to him, but the Spirit was so calming and reassuring. We started talking with him and within the first 2 minutes of the conversation he asked why we were wearing badges. We explained they were name tags and we were missionaries. He perked up and said "So you're believers?? So am I." We started having a great gospel conversation with him, and he told us a little bit about himself and how he came to believe in God and Jesus Christ. Eventually he told us that he's looking for a church. We invited him to come and check out our church, and gave him a copy of the Book of Mormon. We got his number and a return appointment for this week! While I was writing down his number, Sister Jensen asked him about his tattoo on his arm. He kind of chuckled and goes, "Are you ready for that one?? That...is the molecular makeup of LSD." and then he went on to explain how he's made some really bad choices in his life, but those choices have all led him to God in some way shape or form. It made me think of Alma 24:27, "the Lord worketh in many ways to the salvation of his people." This guy has had a rough life, but through his experiences he's been able to find God. I don't know why some of us pass through seemingly harder things than others, but I do know that God has a higher purpose in mind with the trials He gives us. God might place us all on different paths, but ultimately His end goal for all of us is the same--He wants us to return home to Him! 

Missed a patch with sunscreen
Saturday was a bit of a tough day for us. We didn't have any appointments, and it was a full proselyting day...on a long weekend. We were out contacting all day long and it was pretty hot outside. Not too many people were home/answered the door/were too keen on talking to us...but nevertheless there were tons of tender mercies to be grateful for! 

1. Saturday morning we had breakfast with our stake president, President Derrick. He is a great example to me of Christ-like love. He shared some spiritual experiences with us missionaries serving in the stake, and we shared some miracles with him. It was a great time! 

2. The Lord gave me an opportunity to see how much I've grown. Saturday morning we had a conversation with a guy for probably about 45 minutes. Initially the conversation was an awesome gospel discussion, but towards the end he started anti-ing us. It became very clear he did not agree with the church, and more specifically he was attacking the Book of Mormon. I've been antied a lot on my mission, but it's been probably about three months since I was last antied. I was surprised to find myself very calm. I was sitting there talking to this guy, who was trying to be very hostile, but I was so calm. I was comparing it to the first time I met someone disagreeable on my mission and how unsure I felt about everything, and I realized the reason why I felt so calm was because I KNOW that the things I'm teaching people about are true...and nothing this guy would say could ever hold a candle to the things I've already come to know. I know the Book of Mormon is true and that Christ's church has been restored, simple as that! 

3. We dropped by a former investigator and she committed to come to church! She'd never been before so she said she was willing to check it out...and then she ended up showing up yesterday! Miracles! 

4. At the end of the day we decided to stop by a family that Bishop asked us to visit a while ago. I've knocked their door so many times and they've never answered...but Saturday night they answered, let us in, we had a great spirit-filled conversation, and they ended up committing to befriend one of our investigators! It was awesome! It was a great way to end the long hot day that we'd had. 

100% diva with my mask
All in all, it's been a great week. I feel so strongly that something amazing is going to happen this transfer. I feel like the Lord is clearing our time for us...we were supposed to be super busy this week teaching V all the lessons so she could get baptized on Saturday but since she's no longer investigating that's not something we need to worry about, K and C are headed out for the entire duration of this transfer, and one of our recent converts just moved to New York for the summer so we don't have to worry about teaching her the new member lessons...suddenly we are finding that we have more time to get out and do the nitty-gritty work. I feel like the Lord is saying "these are all things that are good, and important, but it's not what I want you to be doing right now." The Lord is making it possible for us to find someone He's prepared, because it's hard to find time to find when you're teaching lessons all day! I'm excited to get to work and find who all the Lord has prepared. 

I love you all! Have a great week and happy Memorial Day! 

Sister Jacobson 


YSA FHE
Temple View YSA for life!





No comments:

Post a Comment