Week 26: AGM…Plugged In?!?!


July 24, 2017
Hey hey!
Ohhhhh boy what a WILD, WILD week it's been!! Things are happening...not just in our area, but in our MISSION as well!
On Friday before weekly planning, our ZLs sent out a mass text to the zone telling us all to be on time for weekly planning because they had a huge announcement to make. Usually these "big announcements" end up being pretty lame...but this time it actually was a HUGE announcement. Alright everyone, buckle up...by the second or third week of August...every single missionary in the Arizona Gilbert Mission will have a SMART PHONE!!! That's right, we're getting technology!! Not only that, but church headquarters has chosen our mission to be the first mission to pilot the use of smart phones mission-wide. We get to choose what phone we want, purchase it, and at the end of our mission, we take the phone with us. This means that all of our area books, planning, EVERYTHING is going to be on our phones. There's still a lot we don't know, but what we do know is that both companions will have a phone, each companionship will have one phone number and one SIM card. When you're transferred, the phone goes with you and the SIM stays in the area.
In addition, starting next transfer (so next week!!) our mission is a social media mission. We'll be on Facebook! Legit last week I told Sister Rudd that I would be a much more effective missionary if I could keep tabs on our investigators via social media....I think the Lord heard me. ;) We're waiting for more information on that as well!
IN ADDITION! Since we're piloting the smartphones...the church is sending a team of filmmakers to film our mission implementing this technology....and the films they make will be used to train missionaries worldwide. So those videos called "The District" that you're supposed to watch before your mission? Yeah...my mission is being used for The District 4.
Trainer vs. Trainee
Next transfer we're obviously going to have a massive training on how to use this technology effectively, and the exciting part is....we're going to be trained by a big General Authority. We're not sure if it's going to be a broadcast or if he'll actually come here...but as of right now it sounds like he's going to come here!
So yes....we are very, VERY excited. Just this week I had a crisis-moment where I realized that I'm learning all of these amazing skills on my mission, and I realized that when I go home I'll have all of these skills but I'll also have all of the distractions that I don't have now...and it really worried me, but at almost the same time I felt the worry, I felt this overwhelming sense of peace. When the ZLs told us about the technology I realized that the Lord has prepared a way for me to learn how to use technology on my mission so it won't be as big of a distraction when I go home! I am so thankful.
But anyways, after that exciting news...let me talk about the work this week! It was one of those weeks where we worked really hard, saw lots of people, had lots of really great discussions, but I can't think of any amazing earth-shattering stories to share.
This week we had a lesson with our cute 11-year-old investigator M. We taught her the Plan of Salvation and it was probably one of the sweetest lessons on my mission. We had the lesson at her member friend's house, and her friend's family was being really loud and distracting. For a minute there I was really worried that we wouldn't be able to teach her a lesson...but M kept telling us that she wanted a lesson, so we asked the family if we could say a prayer. As soon as we said "Amen" the atmosphere in the whole room was different; the Spirit was present and we were able to teach her! M was listening intently the whole time. As we were talking about our life here on Earth, we were talking about the experiences we gain here, and how many of the things we experience prepare us to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. I felt impressed to ask her if she'd ever felt the Holy Ghost, so I explained briefly how I feel the Holy Ghost and then asked her if she'd ever felt His presence. She nodded and then I asked her if she could share a time. She got a little choked up and said, "I think I feel it right now." And then she described what she was feeling. She also told us that she feels the same way at church and every time she reads the Book of Mormon. It was a very sweet moment. At the end of the lesson, we asked her what she understood of the Plan of Salvation and I was shocked at how much she retained! She really did pay attention! And then, we invited her to say a prayer with us and she did!! She was so excited to have the opportunity to pray, and I think she thanked the Lord for "the missionaries coming to teach her a lesson" like three times....it was one of the most genuine prayers I've ever heard. We are praying that her parent’s hearts will soften soon! We talked with her parents briefly this week and slowly but surely I think they're coming around. :)
Also this week...a boy from one of the wards I'm serving in got his mission call to the IDAHO BOISE mission!! Yeeeaaaaahhhhh!!!! He leaves in October. Look for an Elder Wagner rolling into Boise in November!
Visited a family who live in a hill
We also had a super cool miracle this week. We were out working on Friday night and we had an appointment at 8, and it was like 7:50 so we had an awkward amount of time. We were nearby this one family who NEVER answers their door, but I thought "eh, let's try them." And honestly in my mind I was like yeah by the time we knock this door, and they don't answer, and we get back to our car, it'll be right about the time we need to go to this appointment. But to my utter surprise...they OPENED their door AND invited us in!! It was so surreal; I've knocked that door so many times and never ever gotten in. But then we were in a pickle because it was like 7:55 and we had an appointment in like 5 minutes...but the appointment was with a recent convert so we chose to stay a little longer and be late to our appointment. We ended up getting to know this family, building a really good relationship, AND getting a dinner appointment. The Lord's hand is in everything!!
Member dinners always an adventure!
Haha this week we got stranded on the border of our mission and the Tempe mission. A member took us to this really good Chinese restaurant for dinner, and honestly every time we've had dinner with this member something crazy has happened. Her oldest son went into the MTC this past week--he's going to Sweden--and she told us that she needed some comfort, so she took us to dinner. Well, this family has just been plagued with trial after trial these past few months (anyone who has ever had a member of their family go on a mission understands haha) and one of their trials has been random car problems. She picks us up for dinner, and on the way to the restaurant she goes, "Look what I pulled out from my car today!!" and it's literally a belt from the engine. We were like...that's not good. So we make it there just fine, but then we come out and the car won't start haha the key was just clicking back and forth. She wanted us to go across the street to wait at the Circle K, but we were like...that's outside of our mission (small mission problems) haha so that's the story of how we ended up sitting at a KFC a couple blocks away from the Chinese restaurant waiting for a ride.
Anyways, it's been a good week! Life is so good; mission life is the best!
Have a good week; I love you all so much! Thanks for all you do!
Sister Jacobson
Stumbled onto some birdhouses
Birdhouse maker's garage
Someone gave us flowers
I know where they got this!
Mini haboob
Mini haboob






Mini haboob









No comments:

Post a Comment